MedGU-22 WILL GO AHEAD IN-PERSON & ONLINE THIS NOVEMBER IN Marrakech.
WE WELCOME PARTICIPANTS FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD!
- Extended Deadline to submit a short abstract (max. 350 words): 20 June 2022.
- Deadline to submit (optional, not mandatory) an extended abstract (max. 4 pages) for publication in the proceedings by Springer (indexed in Scopus / SCImago): 25 August 2022.
- Even though we hope the global public health pandemic will improve between now and November, we will be applying the strictest safety standards possible at the congress center during the event.
- If you have been selected (i.e. short abstract accepted), we will contact you on 1 September 2022 to check whether you want to attend the conference in person and present your work to the audience directly or if you would prefer to make your presentation online.
- You will have until 15 September 2022 to decide on the type of presentation (in-person or online).
- Before doing any trip planning, be sure to check the on travel restrictions to Morocco (see Travel to Morocco).
- Thank you for your great interest in joining MedGU-22 in November!
- MedGU-21 was organized in-person and online this November 2021 in Istanbul.
- 450+ scientists from over 90 countries have attended the meeting.
- 200+ participants attended in-person in Istanbul and 250+ participated online.
- MedGU-21 used Zoom webinar for all in-person and online sessions.
- For more information, consult the conference program.
Proceedings of MedGU
- The proceedings of MedGU-22 will be published in the Springer ASTI series which is indexed in Scopus / SCImago.
- Publishing in ASTI series also qualifies the MedGU-22 proceedings to be selected for indexation in the Web of Science.
Proceedings of related conferences
- The proceedings of MedGU-21 will be published by Springer in Summer 2022.
- Read on SpringerLink the proceedings of CAJG-2018 and CAJG-2019.
- The proceedings of CAJG-2020 will appear soon on the same link.
- Read on SpringerLink the proceedings of EMCEI-2017 and EMCEI-2019.
- The proceedings of EMCEI-2021 will be published by Springer in Summer 2022.
- The proceedings of the CAJG and EMCEI are indexed in the Web of Science and Scopus / SCImago.
Steps towards the creation of a Mediterranean Geosciences Union (MedGU)
Mediterranean Geosciences Union (MedGU) aims to create a unique federation that brings together and represents the Mediterranean geoscience community specializing in the areas of Earth, planetary and space sciences.
MedGU will be structured along the lines of AGU (American Geophysical Union) and EGU (European Geosciences Union).
The plan is to establish a large organization for the Mediterranean region that is more influential than any one local geoscience society with the objective of fostering fundamental geoscience research, as well as applied research that addresses key societal and environmental challenges.
MedGU’s overarching vision is to contribute to the realization of a sustainable future for humanity and for the planet.
The creation of this union will give the Earth sciences more influence in policy-making and in the implementation of solutions to preserve the natural environment and to create more sustainable societies for the people living in the Mediterranean region. It is hoped that the union will also provide opportunities to Mediterranean geoscientists to undertake interdisciplinary collaborative research. MedGU plans to recognize the work of the most active geoscientists with a number of awards and medals.
Although MedGU has not yet been officially inaugurated, its first annual meeting was organized in November 2022 in Istanbul (MedGU-21). This has provided a forum to achieve a consensus for the formation of this non-profit international union of geoscientists. Membership will be open to individuals who have a professional engagement with the Earth, planetary and space sciences and related studies, including students and retired seniors.
Nabil Khélifi (MedGU Founder, Germany) and Attila Çiner (MedGU Interim President, Turkey) in collaboration with Abdelaziz Mridekh (MedGU-22 Local Chair, Morocco) have taken an ambitious approach to the launch of the second MedGU Annual Meeting 2022 and hope to develop it in the near future into the largest international geoscience event in the Mediterranean and the broader MENA region. Its mission is to support geoscientists based in this region by establishing a Global Geoscience Congress.
It is expected that hundreds of participants from all over the world will attend this second MedGU Annual Meeting 2022, making it one of the largest and most prominent geosciences event in the region. So far, over 1300 abstracts have been submitted from 95 countries. The meeting’s sessions will cover a wide range of topics with more details available on the Conference Tracks.
This second 2022 Annual Meeting will have a "hybrid" format, with both in-person and virtual participation. Springer, its official partner, will publish the proceedings in a book series (indexed in Scopus) as well as a number of special issues in diverse scientific journals (for more details, see Publications). The official journal of MedGU is Mediterranean Geoscience Reviews (Springer).
In recent years, as in-house Editor for Springer for the Middle East and Africa, I have had the opportunity to meet many successful geoscientists from the region and I have come to realize how difficult it is for many of them to travel to international conferences to show their work and build collaborations. It is my belief that a large event organized through a single federation representing the geoscience community around the Mediterranean and in the broader MENA region could be of enormous benefit.
MedGU (Interim) President
We aim to create a unique federation that brings together the Mediterranean geoscience community. MedGU’s overarching vision is to contribute to the realization of a sustainable future for the people living in the Mediterranean region. It is hoped that the union will provide opportunities to Mediterranean geoscientists to undertake interdisciplinary collaborative research.
The scientific committee of the MedGU invites research papers on all cross-cutting themes of Earth sciences, with a main focus on the following 16 conference tracks:
- Track 1. Atmospheric Sciences, Meteorology, Climatology, Oceanography
Chair(s): Zhihua Zhang (China), Nabil Khelifi (Germany)
- Track 2. Biogeochemistry, Geobiology, Geoecology, Geoagronomy
Chair(s): Haroun Chenchouni (Algeria)
- Track 3. Earthquake Seismology and Geodesy
Chair(s): Mourad Bezzeghoud (Portugal), Klaus Günter Hinzen (Germany), Luca Gasperini (Italy), Alina Polonia (Italy), Mustapha Meghraoui (France), Mehdi Eshagh (Sweden)
- Track 4. Environmental Earth Sciences
Chair(s): Amjad Kallel (Tunisia), Md Firoz Khan (Malaysia), Rahim Barzegar (Canada), Komali Kantamaneni (UK)
- Track 5. Applied & Theoretical Geophysics
Chair(s): Cesare Comina (Italy), Arkoprovo Biswas (India), Mourad Bezzeghoud (Portugal), Luca Gasperini (Italy)
- Track 6. Geo-Informatics and Remote Sensing
Chair(s): Mustafa Üstüner (Turkey), Hesham El-Askary (USA), Muhammad Al-Amin Hoque (Bangladesh)
- Track 7. Geochemistry, Mineralogy, Petrology, Volcanology
Chair(s): Domenico Doronzo (Spain), Federico Lucci (Italy)
- Track 8. Geological Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering
Chair(s): Zeynal Abiddin Ergüler (Turkey)
- Track 9. Geomorphology, Geography, Soil Science, Glaciology, Geoarchaeology, Geoheritage
Chair(s): Jesús Rodrigo-Comino (Spain), Attila Çiner (Turkey)
- Track 10. Hydrology, Hydrogeology, Hydrochemistry
Chair(s): Helder Chaminé (Portugal), Imran Ali (India), Mingjie Chen (Oman), Tajudeen M. Iwalewa (USA)
- Track 11. Marine Geosciences, Historical Geology, Paleoceanography, Paleoclimatology
Chair(s): Attila Çiner (Turkey)
- Track 12. Numerical and Analytical Methods in Mining Sciences and Geomechanics
Chair(s): Murat Karakus (Australia), Ali Karrech (Australia)
- Track 13. Petroleum and Energy Engineering, Petroleum Geochemistry
Chair(s): Santanu Banerjee (India)
- Track 14. Sedimentology, Stratigraphy, Paleontology, Geochronology
Chair(s): Attila Çiner (Turkey)
- Track 15. Structural Geology, Tectonics and Geodynamics, Petroleum Geology
Chair(s): Ahmed Radwan (Poland), Afroz Ahmad Shah (Singapore), Wilfried Bauer (Oman), Zakaria Hamimi (Egypt)
Partnered Journals & Book Series
Applied Water Science
(Impact Factor = 3.87)
Journal of Soils and Sediments
(Impact Factor = 3.31)
Environmental Earth Sciences
(Impact Factor = 2.78)
International Journal of Earth Sciences
(Impact Factor = 2.52)
Journal of Arid Land
(Impact Factor = 2.29)
Journal of Petroleum Exploration and Production Technology
(Impact Factor = 2.08)
Arabian Journal of Geosciences
(Impact Factor = 1.83)
Euro-Mediterranean Journal for Environmental Integration
(indexed in ISI's ESCI)
Earth Systems and Environment
(indexed in ISI‘s ESCI and Scopus)
Innovative Infrastructure Solutions
(indexed in ISI's ESCI and Scopus)
Mediterranean Geoscience Reviews